jeudi 31 mars 2011

Zappa, the Family Man?

It seems that these last few weeks I'm mainly focusing on Zappa's dark side rather than anything else he did.
I could talk about his musical creativity.
I could talk about the entrepreneur he was, investing all his earnings in other musical projects.
I could talk about his great sense of satire...
No.
Instead, I'm talking about the 'Man'. What seems to interest me the most is the 'Frank' rather than the 'Zappa', and I must say there are loads of material for discussion on that topic only.

Today, my concern is on his family. In interviews and in his own biography, he shouts to anyone willing to hear him that his only true friends were his family. Nobody else. Althought it needs to be taken as a rather radical comment not exactly reflecting the truth, Zappa was indeed not famous for his attendance at parties and his social abilities.
But further readings of Miles' biography leaves me, once again, quite perplex towards this statement. I'll throw my questions to the open.
How can a man consider himself as a 'family guy' if he works more than 14 hours a day locked up in a recording studio?
How can he be a 'family man' if he does not respect his wife and collects sexual adventures?
How can he see his kids grow if he's on tour for 6 months, then back in a studio for the rest of the year?...
Moon Unit and Gail have commented on the fact that nobody was aloud in Frank's office located in the basement (although that Lennon kid lived there for more than a month). Moon also adds that their biggest fear was to disturb their dad while he was working (which is... always!).
Maybe I'm not far enough in my reading of his biography to truly understand the 'family guy' he was. Maybe his cancer changed things. Maybe, as he grew older by the end of the 80's, he was more present in his children's life. But I'm not to that point of his biography now, and I must say that from what I've read so far, I have quite a negative view of Frank as a 'man'.

But this opinion is just like my blog: in constant evolution. In two weeks time I'll probably say just the opposite of what I've just written. Man, I love contradictions!

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire